Monday, February 12, 2007

Reply from the Chairperson of Sepilok Appeal UK.

It was sad that they won't be able to help me in getting a slot with NY marathon. Maybe I should switch to another marathon, maybe next year's London Marathon. It would just expensive to go to NY on my own £££.

She replied today evening. Here's the email correspondence.

Dear Ulugange,

Thank you for your email regarding the NY Marathon. I regret to inform you that we will be unable to assist you in this matter for you to be able to fund your placement at Sepilok. We take pride in informing our supporters that 84% of the money which is donated to the Appeal actually goes towards plight of the orangutan. This money goes towards projects which the Appeal and Sepilok centre identify. The volunteering project is expensive and a substantial amount of the money goes towards the cost of your flights, accomodation and upkeep.
We wish you luck in raising funds and hope you enjoy your experience at Sepilok.

Kind regards,
Kristina Maurice-Jones
Sepilok Orangutan Appeal UK


----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:16 PM
Subject: HELP: New York Marathon - Fund Raising for Sepilok VolunteeringProgram with
Travellers

Hey Ms Chairperson,

I am Ulugange, a PhD student with University College London, London UK. I have got a slot with Travellers.com on their Orang Utan Project in Malaysia for September 2008. A long awaited aspiration I have been dreaming to fulfil!

As I am half marathon runner, I set out a challenge for myself to run a full marathon this year. After given it much thoughts, I thought it would be a great idea to raise the fund needed for me to volunteer in this marathon.

I am approaching you with great help in need. As you may know, one of the way (other than paying exorbitant price) to get into NY marathon is joining a charity and raise the target fund they set for you, and then the charity will give you a slot to run. (from what I gathered on the internet, this is my 1st fund-raising run, my previous runs don't require me to raise fund, but pay to run.) So, I was hoping that Sepilok Orang Utan Appeal UK, now a registered charity, would be able to help me to get a run slot in NY marathon so that I can raise fund for the project.

I know that NY marathon UK has their own set of (UK) local charities that runners from UK can sign up for. But the list of charities didn't appeal to me, as I am really passionate about orang utan. The world got to know about
these primates!

Of course, if Chairperson is willing to embark on this, I will be more than grateful to build awareness of this charity organization during the run, like carrying Sepilok Orang Utan Appeal UK flag, wear its t-shirt or pants, carry a recording, broadcasting the effort, or even wear a monkey suit to create impact... throughout the entire 26.2 miles! The return for your organization would be enormous! Just by sheer number, NY marathon is the most grand running event in the world, attracting a 30,000 strong international participants, tens of thousands of volunteers and not forgetting the home crowd of New York city that comes out every year to support runners on that day. The advertising is ubiquitous.

To show my commitment to this fund raising and also as a personal log and commitment, I have set up an official blog to act a medium to communicate with my friends, family and of course sponsors about both my running and later volunteering project in Sepilok. It is a public blog. Blog address is http://pushinglimit.blogspot.com

As you might already know, the fund raised is not solely for my logging and food during the program, but also serves to fund the operation of the sanctuary.

I really hope for your favorable reply. If it is not the case, I hope you would be able to guide me to any organizations that I can seek help from for my purpose. But of course it is my deepest wish that Sepilok Orang Utan Appeal UK would be able to assist me in this.

Hope to hear from you as your soonest. Thank you.

with personal regards,
Ulugange

--------------------------
Ulugange
PhD Student
Institute of Neurology
University College London
Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG

Tel XXXXXXXXXXX
Email xxxxx@ucl.ac.uk
---------------------------

No comments: