Saturday, January 27, 2007

Prep for the marathon

First webpage that I came about is these words:

Marathon is a commitment more than anything else. If you are planning for a wedding or taking up a new course, you might want to think twice about it. Time for training is crucial.

While researching for a training plan for my marathon, I found out at first I might not be able to do it. Most say you need to be running for a year CONSTANTLY, before you should consider running a marathon. But I came to this website where there I might just be able to make it for the marathon. Anyway, my occupational health nurse said that I am fit enough for the run and I should be doing better than other. I have a BP of 73/110 and a resting HR of 49. In the program stated, I would need to build up my mileage to be physically competent for training the marathon, which is 18-week long.

after much calculation, I would start my marathon training from 7 July to 4 November (the race day). Now that gives me now (Feb to July) to train for my mileage build-up schedule. It is again a 18-week long training. Just in time! Totally elated!

This evening, I have just busy keying in my MBU (Mileage Build-up) training log in my Google calendar. Basically it works like this: In Week 1, I need to accomplish 14 miles altogether, so it would be spread out in 4 alternate days of 4 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles and 3 miles. The training is progressive with less than 10% increment in distance each week until I hit around 35 miles a week.

Officially I would start 2nd week of February. But I think I better start training for the 3 miles itself!!! That's 6km!!

Wish me luck!

I hope I am ready for it. Now I need to look into running club in Reading to enrich my running. It can get quite boring running alone and also dangerous.

No comments: