Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Great 19 miles today!

The week couldn't have ended with a higher note than this. I did it! I finished the 19 mile today with a good form, of course I was exhausted and trenched! Weather today in London is 10C, windy and rainy (feel like 7C).

The truth, guys, I have been feeling down this whole week. Last week's incomplete 19 miles set the tone for the rest of this week.

I was in such great pain last Sunday that Sarah had to literally put me on the bus to go back to hers. I was obstinated to finish it since I already did 17 miles! But my ITB, plantar fasciitis and a newfound injury - peroneal tendonitis - resulted from supination (underpronation) on my right feet were acting so much that my pain scale was still 8-9/10 even after popping two ibuprofen. Tuesday, I went to my physio, Harriat and did an ultrasound on that tendon. I have this suspicion it would my new trainer. While it corrected my overpronation on my left feet, it could might overcompensate for my right feet. On that day I had to swim instead of run. An insane 53 50m-lapses! As it turned out after my Thursday 8-mile run, the trainer proved to be culprit!

I was torn from the discovery: yes I knew what was causing the pain, yet it would mean I need to change my trainer ... so close to race date. Not ideal! That's why I bought the first pair a month and half ago.

So on Friday, I managed to get the Gel Foundation exchanged for a Asics Gel 2130 women, a less support and softer base (as I land pretty lightly). But I need to break it in slowly - two short 5-mile before any long runs.

Chagrined by all these injuries, the life-overtaking running schedules and my forever-inchoated PhD transfer report, I was irascible, moody and worn out. To add on to the hopelessness, Shiok was closed abruptly. There go the months of liaising and my fund-raising plan. Plus the collection for Paris Half was minimal! (but there again it could be still rolling in!)

The most discouraging moment was when I realized I am in this all on my own. Suddenly, the reality hits me that there isn't anyone there for me: no concern calls from friends or family. How I long for it? It can quite tough to carry on by myself sometime.

Hence, to be able to complete 19-miler today, with still physical and mental strength to do more, it was a copacetic achievement! I feels now I can go out there and do what needs to be done for the coming week! Special thanks to my running buddies: Sarah, Lindsay and Nat. Without your constant encouragement during these long runs, guys, I won't have do on my own! Of course, with a lil of a external help: the big G! Thanks!


Nat, me, Lindsay and Sarah.

No comments: